A streetlight in my neighborhood is not working, who do I call?

Alliant Energy services the streetlights and can be reached at 800-822-4348.

Or visit their website to report online.

Can I burn trash or leaves?

Yes, backyard burning of non-toxic residential waste on the premises of the property where such waste is generated is allowed.

Leaf burning is NOT allowed on streets or alleys.

Do I need a building permit?

Building permits are required for most construction projects within the city limits. This includes but is not limited to: new construction, additions, remodeling, cement, fences, and utility sheds.

Does the City of Clarence have a curfew for minors?

Yes, it is unlawful for any minor (person below the age of 18 years) to be or remain upon any of the alleys, streets or public places or to be in places of business and amusement in the City between the hours of: 10:00 p.m. on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings to 5:00 a.m. of the following morning. 12:00 midnight on Friday and Saturday evenings to 5:00 a.m. of the following morning.

How do I reserve a park shelter?

Information about renting the park shelters can be found by clicking here.

The open Lions shelter is available on a ‘first come first served’ basis.

What are City Hall office hours?

Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Any closures or changes to the regular hours are posted to the city’s Facebook page.

What is the garbage & recycling pick up schedule?

Residential garbage and commercial dumpster and garbage pickup begins at 7 a.m. each Wednesday.

Recycling service begins at 7 a.m. every other Tuesday of the month.

Please see the City Calendar for up to date schedules.

What is allowed in recycling? What is allowed in garbage? Do I need to provide my own can?

For all the essential garbage and recycling service information, please visit our Garbage & Recycling Service page here on the site, which should answer just about every question you may have. If you have a question not answered there, please contact City Hall and we will do our best to assist.

What should I do with branches and yard waste?

Public Works will pick up small amounts of branches and sticks from the curb, usually on Mondays from Spring to late Fall. Small piles of branches and sticks must be of manageable size and placed by the alley or roadside. Small sticks may be put into a container.

Large piles of branches or cuttings from trees or bushes will not be picked up by Public Works, but may be hauled to the burn pile out at the sewer plant. Please note that no branches over 6″ in diameter are allowed at the burn pile.

The City does not provide for the removal of yard waste or grass clippings. Yard waste, leaves and grass clippings are not allowed at the burn pile. Per ordinance, residents may dispose of yard waste on their own property by composting or by burning.

When are city utility bills sent out, when is payment due & where can I pay my bill?

Utility bills are sent out on the first of each month and include water, sewer, garbage, and recycling. Payment is due on the 20th of that same month. Payments may be mailed to PO Box 418, Clarence IA 52216, or brought in to City Hall or placed in either the outside or inside drop boxes. You may also sign up for automatic payments or pay by credit/debit card through the city’s FrontDesk portal (note there is a fee charged by the processor to pay by credit/debit card).

When is the annual city-wide Garage Sale Day?

Garage Sale Day is normally the first Saturday in June each year. Keep an eye on social media for any updates.

Where do I go to vote?

St. John’s Church, 320 9th Ave, Clarence IA 52216, is the official polling place for the City of Clarence and Dayton Township.